Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Release of mother, son charged in 1990s slayings blocked
AP

Release of mother, son charged in 1990s slayings blocked

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}
Carousel New Jersey courts icon.jpg

Kyle Rittenhouse was acquitted of all charges Friday after pleading self-defense in the deadly Kenosha shootings that became a flashpoint in the debate over guns, vigilantism and racial injustice in the U.S. Rittenhouse, 18, began to choke up, fell forward toward the defense table and then hugged one of his attorneys as he heard a court clerk recite "not guilty" five times. "His eyes were red, he was sort of frozen again for a moment and one of his lawyers leaned over, patted him on the shoulder and told him to breathe, "said Associated Press reporter Michael Tarm. "A very emotional scene."

FREEHOLD — An appellate court has ordered a mother and son charged in the decades-old murders of two relatives in New Jersey to remain behind bars to allow prosecutors time to appeal a judge’s order granting their release as they await a retrial.

Superior Court Judge Joseph W. Oxley ordered the release of 69-year-old Dolores Morgan and 49-year-old Ted Connors from the Monmouth County jail, but an appellate judge issued a stay of that order Friday afternoon, the Asbury Park Press reported.

Their first trial ended in a mistrial after jurors were unable to reach a unanimous verdict following a week of deliberations in the murders of Morgan’s daughter and husband in Long Branch. Prosecutors allege Morgan, then known as Dolores Connors, orchestrated both killings during meetings in the kitchen of the family home.

Ana Mejia, 25, was stabbed 22 times in her Long Branch apartment in December 1994 while her two children, ages 1 and 3, were present, authorities said. Nicholas Connors, 51, was shot three times in the head in May 1995 as he lay on the couch watching television in the family home.

A prosecution witness alleged in testimony that Morgan feared that Mejia, arrested in a State Police cocaine sting, would provide evidence against her and her son. The murders remained unsolved until a cold case squad revived the investigation in 2017. The defendants, who now live in Delray Beach, Florida, were arrested in January 2020.

Defense attorney Jason Seidman, representing Connors, said the prosecution’s case was predicated “on the word of a snitch who got the deal of a lifetime.”

“She’s waited a long time to hug her husband and her son, breathe fresh air, eat real food and have a night’s sleep without 10 people screaming,” Seidman said.

Attorney Jonathan Petty, representing Connors, said his client had been incarcerated for 645 days and “has a 4-year-old and a 6-year-old that he’s watching grow up in pictures.’’ After the judge ordered his release, Petty said, “He said to me, ‘The next time I see my daughter, you won’t be showing me a picture.’”

“It’s the state’s position they murdered two people,” Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said. “It’s our obligation to keep the people safe, and that’s exactly what we’re doing.”

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

The best local coverage, unlimited

Sign up for a digital subscription to The Press of Atlantic City now and take advantage of a great offer.

LEARN MORE

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Soon we will no longer integrate with Facebook for story comments. The commenting option is not going away, however, readers will need to register for a FREE site account to continue sharing their thoughts and feedback on stories. If you already have an account (i.e. current subscribers, posting in obituary guestbooks, for submitting community events), you may use that login, otherwise, you will be prompted to create a new account.

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

Breaking News