Gov. Phil Murphy on Friday ordered a ban on all smoking inside casinos, the same day it was to have been allowed to resume after more than five months.
“I am announcing we will take administrative action to prohibit smoking in indoor casinos. We have looked closely at the science and agree with experts that have concluded that allowing smoking is too large a risk to take,” Murphy said at his press conference.
Assemblymen Vince Mazzeo and John Armato, both D-Atlantic, welcomed the announcement.
“As we work to combat the spread of a virus that’s easily transmissible through the air, temporarily banning smoking in casinos is the best decision for the safety of workers and patrons alike,” the two said in a written statement.
“Prohibiting smoking will make it easier for casinos to filter clean air, which experts agree is key to slowing the virus’s spread in indoor spaces,” the legislators said.
Murphy on Tuesday issued an executive order that allowed the resumption of indoor dining as well as beverage services on casino floors and the resumption of smoking indoors at places it was already allowed. The decision on the smoking raised health concerns from employees and guests.
“I felt safe at first coming back with all the (security measures in place),” said a casino dealer who spoke on condition of anonymity because casino employees are not authorized to speak directly to the media. “Now, how is letting indoor smoking safe? Not only to us, but our families and our nonsmoking guests. ... I feel like no one cares about us.”
Per COVID-19 regulations before Murphy’s announcement Friday, guests had to wear a mask when not smoking or drinking on the casino floor and had to remain seated while doing so.
Now the masks can only come off for drinking on the casino floor.
By local ordinance, casinos are allowed to have smoking on 25% of the gaming floor at both table games and slot machines.
A 2008 Atlantic City visitor profile survey (no such study has been conducted since) performed by Spectrum Gaming Group for the Atlantic City Convention & Visitors Authority found that 23% of casino customers smoke. As of 2018, the CDC estimated that less than 14% of Americans smoke.
Atlantic City casino dining guide, everything you need to know before Labor Day
Atlantic City casino dining guide, everything you need to know for Labor Day
BALLY'S ATLANTIC CITY
• Bally's Breakfast Bar (outdoor dining), 8 a.m.- 1 p.m., Saturday-Sunday
• Buca di Beppo, 8 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Dunkin Donuts
• Guy's Bar-B-Que Joint (outside window), 12 p.m.-12 a.m.
• Guy' Fieri's Chophouse (outdoor dining), 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday; (indoor dining) 5 p.m.-9p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Harry's Oyster Bar, 12 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Johnny Rockets, 9 a.m.-9 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 12 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Sac O’ Subs, 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-11 p.m., Friday; 8 a.m.-12 a.m., Saturday
• Walt’s Primo Pizza, 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday; 11 a.m.-12 a.m., Saturday
BORGATA HOTEL CASINO & SPA
• Bobby Flay Steak, 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Wednesday-Sunday
• Angeline by Michael Symon, 5:30 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Sunday-Tuesday; 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Izakaya by Michael Schulson, 5 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Sunday; 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday, Friday-Saturday
• Old Homestead Steak House, 5:30-9:30 p.m., Sunday-Tuesday; 5:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• The Metropolitan, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday-Monday
• Noodles of the World, 12 p.m.-2 a.m., Sunday-Thursday; 12 p.m.-4 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• BetMGM Sportsbook & Bar, 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Sunday
• Bread + Butter
• Borgata Baking Company, 7 a.m.-12 a.m., Sunday-Thursday; 7 a.m.-1 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Starbucks, 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 7 a.m.-12 a.m., Friday; 6 a.m.-12 a.m, Saturday; 6 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday
• Borgata Beer Garden: 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
CAESARS ATLANTIC CITY
• Gordon Ramsay Pub & Grill, 8 a.m.-10 p.m. (post-Labor Day, closed Tuesday-Thursday)
• Morton's The Steakhouse, 5 p.m.-11 p.m.
• Nero’s Italian Steakhouse, 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Monday, Thursday, Sunday; 5 p.m.-10:30 p.m., Friday-Saturday; Betty's Back Room, 5 p.m.-10:30 p.m.
• Tazza (to-go only)
• KWI Noodle Bar, 3 p.m.-9:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 6 p.m.-12:30 a.m., Friday; 12 p.m.-1 a.m., Saturday-Sunday
• Palace Court Buffet (pizza to-go service), 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 5 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Saturday
GOLDEN NUGGET ATLANTIC CITY
All dates and times for Labor Day weekend/holiday only.
• Vic & Anthony’s Steakhouse, 4 p.m.-close, Friday-Monday
• Chart House, 4 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• Chairman's Club (Elite & Chairman's members only) Outdoor Dining at The Wave, 12 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Sunday; 12 p.m.-9 p.m., Monday
• Michael Patrick’s, 9 a.m.-1 a.m., Friday; 8 a.m.-1 a.m., Saturday-Sunday; 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday
• The Deck Bayfront Bar & Restaurant (outdoor dining), 12 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Saturday; 12 p.m.-8 p.m., Monday
• Bill’s Bar & Burger, 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• Lillie’s Asian Cuisine, 4 p.m.-2 a.m., Friday; 2 p.m.-2 a.m., Saturday-Sunday
• Bean & Bread
• Bar 46
• Rush Lounge, 4 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Sunday
• Party Pit, 4 p.m., Friday; 11:59 p.m., Sunday
HARD ROCK HOTEL & CASINO ATLANTIC CITY
• Council Oak Steaks & Seafood
• YOUYU Noodle Bar
• Hard Rock Cafe
• Sugar Factory
• Legends Lounge (Rock Royalty and X Card members only) (Seminole Ballroom)
• Plum Lounge (X Card members only)
• DAER Deck (X Card members only), 4 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• Center Bar
• Lobby Bar, 12 p.m.- 12 a.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.- 2 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Balcony Bar
• Hard Rock Beach Bar
• Hard Rock Cafe
• Fish & Co.
HARRAH'S RESORT ATLANTIC CITY
• AC Burger Co. On the Baywalk (outdoor dining), 12 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Sunday; 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday
• Cafe Tazza (to-go service)
• Coastal Craft Kitchen & Bar (outdoor dining), 7:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
• Gordon Ramsay Steak Under The Stars (outdoor dining), 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Martorano's, 5 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• McCormick & Schmick's Seafood, 3:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Pin-Up Pizza (to-go service), 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday & Thursday; 8 a.m.-12 a.m., Friday; 12 a.m.-12 p.m., Saturday-Sunday
• Starbucks, 7 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Guy's Sammich Joint (to-go service), 4 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday; 8 a.m.-12 a.m., Saturday; 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday
OCEAN CASINO RESORT
• American Cut, 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Tuesday-Thursday; 5 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• Cafe 500, 6 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Saturday; 6 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Thursday
• Dolce Mare, 5 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Sunday; 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Monday & Thursday
• Harpers, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Zhen Bang, 11:30 a.m.-2 a.m., Friday-Sunday; 11:30 a.m.-12 a.m., Monday-Thursday
• Frose Coffee Bar (takeout), 7 a.m.-12 p.m., Monday-Saturday
• Harper’s (takeout), 7 a.m.-12 p.m., 5 p.m.-10 p.m.
• Lobby Brew (takeout), 6 a.m.-2 p.m.
• Pit Boss BBQ + BEER (takeout), 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m., Sunday
• Rocco’s Italian Kitchen (takeout), 11 a.m.-6 a.m.
• District Grille (takeout), 8 a.m.-4 a.m. (breakfast until 11:30 a.m.)
• Seaside Deli (takeout), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• Simply Salads (takeout), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• BoardWok (takeout), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• Scoops (takeout), 10 a.m.-10 p.m.
• The Grind (takeout), 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Zhen Bang Noodle & Sushi (takeout), 11:30 a.m.-2 a.m., Friday-Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-12 a.m., Sunday-Thursday
• Wahlburgers (takeout), 12 p.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 12 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Bites + Brews Food and Beer Trucks (outdoor), 10 a.m.- 8 p.m., Monday-Thursday; 10 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday
• Sky Garden Grille (outdoor), 4 p.m.-11 p.m.
• Beer Truck, 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday; 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Monday-Thursday
• Mad Dog Morgan’s Food Truck, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 10 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Garage at 5th City Side (covered seating)
• Outdoor VIP Lounge (covered seating), 4 p.m.-10 p.m., Thursday-Friday; 2 p.m.-10 p.m., Saturday; 12 p.m.- 6 p.m.
• Outdoor Lobby Bar, 11 a.m.-12 a.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.- 2 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Sky Garden Outdoor Bar, 4 p.m.-11 p.m.
• Boardwalk Poolside Bar, 6 p.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Saturday
RESORTS CASINO HOTEL
• Breadsticks Café
• Eastwind and Mukashi
• Landshark Bar & Grill
• Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville
• Quickbites Food Court
• Bar One
• Gallagher’s Steak House (opening Sept. 5)
• 5 o’Clock Somewhere (opening Sept. 11)
TROPICANA ATLANTIC CITY
• Palm Restaurant, 5 p.m.-9 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 5 p.m.-10 p.m., Saturday-Sunday
• Cuba Libre Restaurant & Rum Bar, 4 p.m.-11 p.m., Friday-Sunday
• Broadway Burger Bar, 2 p.m.-9 p.m., Friday-Saturday; 1 p.m.-8 p.m., Sunday
• Casa Taco & Tequila Bar (outdoor dining), 7 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 7 a.m.-12 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Chickie And Pete's Crab House And Sports Bar (outdoor dining), 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
• Hooter's Atlantic City (outdoor dining) 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
• La Petite Creperie 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-3 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Perry's Pizza (outdoor dining) 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 a.m.-4 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• PF Chang's Atlantic City, 12 p.m.-9 p.m.
• Tony Luke's Atlantic City (outdoor dining), 11 a.m.-10 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 11 p.m.-2 a.m., Friday-Saturday
• Starbucks: The Quarter, 7 a.m.-5 p.m.
• Starbucks: The Marketplace, 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
• Hershey's Premium Ice Cream Parlor, 12 p.m.-8 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 12 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• Mrs. Fields
• The Corner Market, 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
• Zeytina Gourmet Food & Marketplace, 8 a.m.-12 a.m.
• Going Nuts, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
• The Green Bar, 8 a.m.-9 p.m., Sunday-Thursday; 8 a.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday
• A'Dam Good Deli/Firewaters, 8 a.m.-11 p.m.
• Carmine's, 12 p.m.-10 p.m.
• Chelsea Five Gastropub Poolside, 9 a.m-3 p.m. (breakfast & lunch); 4 p.m.-10 p.m. (dinner)